happiness is...

happiness is...
kenya 2010

Sunday, April 29, 2012

grace for space

well, it is officially here- the time when i go from being an independent woman- living on my own and doing what i want, when i want-to being a roommate. oh yike.

i don't play well with others. i have never been married, and barring a stint over 20 years ago when i lived with a boyfriend, i have mostly lived alone. i have a small house that has only my things in it. it is quiet when i want it to be quiet. it is dirty when i don't mind it being dirty. it is clean and neat when i need some "zen". the toaster is exactly where i want it (under the counter in a cupboard), as is the TV (i don't have one). that is all about to change. to be more exact, life as i have known it for the last 20ish years is about to change. that became evident this week as i was cooking eggs naked except for the post-shower towel on my head. i am sorry for that visual- but it was necessary to make a point. the point is, unless i want to scar my new roommate for eternity, i need to stop cooking eggs while turban-naked. i need to stop doing a lot of things that have become my hermit norm.

don't get me wrong- getting a roommate is a good thing. i am beyond grateful for this opportunity. god sent yvonne my way as a means to help save money for my upcoming mission work in nepal, and to provide someone to live in and take care of my house while i'm gone- still leaving me with a place to come home to...a home base, if you will. she was an answer to prayers and i am thrilled about the journey that we're about to embark on together. i am less thrilled with trying to cram her king sized bedroom set into my twin sized spare room, and not being able to pee the very second that i want to, if she's already in the bathroom. see? we have some compromise in our future.

did i mention i don't play well with others? prayers for grace- and thanksgiving for the opportunity to grow and get outside my comfort zone. that is always a good thing, no matter how painful. i am sure i will get used to cooking with clothes on, too. i'll let you know.

2 comments:

  1. You have male fans who would not mind at all seeing you cooking in the altogether. Just sayin' . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're a Seinfeld fan, you might remember "good naked" and "bad naked". I'm thinking cooking might fall into the "bad naked" category. But thanks for the vote of confidence! Hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete